02 December 2010

When Enough is Never Enough

Some days nothing is enough, even when there is enough.

First off, there's time.  Realistically there is plenty for all that I want to do.  I have enough down time to prove that, even if I cannot motivate myself to get working, due to tiredness, illness, rain, cold, or dark.  Like right now I could probably do some stuff in the studio I just don't want to do.   But it's really cold, and I'm all comfy and warm.

Warmish.  There's a purring cat on my lap that seems to think I'm warm and comfy enough though.  Even that, however, is not enough, as he wants attention too.

Then there's Sparky.  I've seen him every day this week except Monday.  I'll see him tomorrow.  But I was still sad to see him go. It was enough, but it's not enough.

Art-wise, I probably have enough for a project I'm working towards, but I really don't feel like it is enough.  And what I could do to make sure that it is, I just don't want to do.  But I'll go to the hardware store tomorrow and pick up a few things.  After the dentist.  And before the art thing tomorrow evening.  Hmm... back to time again.

But why is it that I, and people in general feel this way?  Why are we never satisfied with what we have?  Like so many things, regardless of the cause, it's good and bad.  On the bad side, to do things backwards from how I laid it out just now, it can cause unhappiness, dissatisfaction, even depression.  However, at the same time it's good as it motivates us and is likely the root cause for our entire civilization.  I don't mean America or globalization, I mean everything since the discovery (or is it taming?) of fire.  Or agriculture, but I would imagine that fire came well before.  If you want to go that route, however, there are tool-using primates.  Primitive tools such as blades of grass, but tools.  So they do it too, to some degree.

Whatever.  I'm going to go be happy with what I have, and snuggle in bed with a purring cat (fittingly, he stopped purring right as I went to type that) and a dog with his jacket on (yes, he has a jacket for when it's cold), and watch old tv shows on the computer, and be happy.  Sparky might be gone home now, but I got to spend enough time with him.  Even if it just wasn't quite enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment