19 September 2010

Balancing Act

This has been one hell of a month.  Alisha has before compared my life to a soap opera, and oddly enough shortly after she said that it turned more true than I cared for.  Lately it's been a roller coaster.  I really don't care for that in my personal life.

A big branch fell on my studio.  Shortly after clearing the last of that away, a tree fell on it, damaging part of the roof.  That's off now, although not repaired, but it isn't urgent damage either.  I've had a phone interview with a company that rejected me before, and now has again.  I had a very unfortunate dental visit, so I'll be dealing with the repercussions of that at the end of next week.  And my family has had drama, which had finally begun to settle down until (this is as polite as I can possibly be about this at the moment) a bitch went and woke the dog back up and stirred it into an even greater frenzy of stupidity and viscousness.  Meanwhile, things have been almost entirely positive with Sparky, and looking up on that front, as well as mostly good news on my art front (despite minor setbacks on part of it).  That being said, I feel like I have shit being shot straight through my head.  Hence the picture.

Now, all that out of the way (and an email sent out that will either calm the dog or get it to bite at my hand next), on to what I had actually wanted to talk about, when I could clear my head enough to think it out.

That's not been very often at all today.

Balance.  Ironic timing on this... But yes, balance.

I am strongly considering alcohol to calm back down, but I'll refrain.  I know better.  Thanks to my sculpture teacher almost pushing me to taking that too far.  Another story for another time.

Balance.

Say you're on a big circle.  You have the best view of that which is around you.  This is obvious, as its closer.  You can guess certain things about the other side, and see some of it, but not very clearly.  So you understand a good bit about the circle.  But if you were to walk around to the opposite side, you would be able to see that side as well, and understand more.  Then between the two, you could understand, to whatever degree, the entire circle much more clearly that from any one spot along it.  Three points would be better, but lets not complicate things more than we need to.

To me, minds are like this with regards to the world around us.  Take the artist.  They understand the art world well, and see things from that point of view.  But they don't understand the whole thing.  Scientists have the same problem, but the opposite view.  In this way, they are a balancing act, art and science.  Of course, both art and science are large categories.  So let's break them down.  On the art side, there are the fine arts, performing arts, and literary arts.  On the science side, there are looser sciences like biology and similar areas, which grow and change as our understanding do.  Then there are the firm sciences, like chemistry, which do not change much, but merely expand.  Then there is math, the tenants of which do not change: 2 and 2 always will make 4 (when both are positive of course, and blah blah blah).  These, in their relative orders, could be seen as complementary to each other (using the art definition, the opposite, balancing out to the center, which in pigment would be neutral gray, or in optical pure white light).  Now, that does not cover everything, nor will the chart completed.  But to simplify, let us consider the sides of the circle between the sciences and arts to be medicine, and public safety (being police, fire fighting, etc).  With any of these pairs, it would be good and instructive to know at least a bit about the opposite.  In this way, one can learn more about everything, and have a greater understanding of everything else.  Nobody will ever understand everything perfectly, but that just leaves room to learn and for some mystery in life.  And most jobs fall under some combination of the various parts, and there very well be some that are fairly well balanced on their own.  But it's a good general principle.

At least to me.  But what do I know?

Other than balancing out my own mind, and my life, plus my general personality with Sparky's.

And having lots of time to think.

When I can stop thinking about female dogs that are probably going to suddenly show up to bite my hand...  I'd rather be at the dentist when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment