06 September 2010

Unexpectedly Expected


Maybe it's just me, but most of the things I expect to happen don't.  Either some aspect of it goes wrong, the entire thing is called off, or there are undesirable and unforeseen consequences, or something such as that.  I just sort of assumed that that was typical life.

This weekend, however, was completely what I would have expected and wanted in every way.  Saturday, Sparky and I went tubing down a river.  He's a city boy, so there was some element of "he might not like it," but he loved it.  We both had a great time, then went back down a portion of it again.  Saturday night, we went to see a play, which was great.  Wonderful set, great cast, and very entertaining.  We even agreed about favorite characters.  The only down side was the first half had one character with a weak accent, but for the second half she was great.  Probably just wore her voice out from the first showing, as a somewhat harsh German accent can do to someone not used to it.  Sunday was great, went out, got a few things done, and Sparky helped my parents with their computer.  We watched Tremors (which I love because it's not really a great movie), which he enjoyed as well.  After that we watched Hackers, which was funny on accident, but we had the same opinions on things there as well.  Today, he helped me make banana bread, which turned out great, better than usual actually.  All through all of this, much closeness and what not.  A great weekend, with few down points.  It's exactly what I would have expected, but because of what I said before, I never quite expect that.  Hence the title of the post.

Maybe I've just had lousy luck on some things lately, or maybe I'm suddenly having good luck (hopefully! I have a phone interview Thursday, really need luck on that).  Or maybe I've just been happy enough lately that I'm not really noticing the problems and consequences and what not that I did before.  I'm going to kick myself for saying something so sappy later, but maybe that old phrase "smile and the world smiles with you" really is right.

Eh, whatever.  I want some more banana bread, and maybe an early dinner while I'm at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment