04 November 2010

Artish Ramblings

Being an artist is fundamentally weird sometimes.

For one thing, at least most of the artists I know are somewhat unable to "turn off" their artist brains for any worthy length of time.  This involves fighting the urge to go out to a studio on a cold night to work on something that you know you just need to wait a few more hours to work on so the adhesive has time to properly set.

For another, it's hard to know when to stop.  It is very easy to ruin an artwork by simply working more on it.  Most people have trouble understanding that, but it's really simple.  Ever see things that are just too complicated for no reason?  Someone just couldn't stop.

The other weird thing is the whole creative process.  Few jobs exist where it is legitimately useful to sit down and do nothing about a project, to simply relax, focus on something else, or at least just sit there doing nothing of any import.  Because otherwise you burn out and cannot make anything worth more than a buck fifty at Walmart.  Not to devalue Walmart's merchandise, but it really is cheap mass produced crap.  But they are the only ones who seem to carry a really good glue, so I'll be headed back there one of these days.

Anyway, the point is, I'm only typing all of this to talk myself out of going to my studio to work on a sculpture that I need to let set for a while, partly for the adhesive, partly for the creative process.  And partly for my nerves.  It's frustrating when you fix a problem and then cause it again by being careless.  So until I figure out another solution, or at least until it's daylight again, I need to take a break from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment