05 November 2010

Link and Michael: Hypocrites on Ice!



At least that would be the title if they made a figure skating version of this, which would completely and utterly fail.  If you haven't read the previous post, scroll down, read it, then come back to this one.  I'm not going to go back and recap, nor do I want to just tag this onto the end of it because that would both change the date on it and rob me of this fun chance to title something "Hypocrites on Ice!"  So there!

I know I said that I was refusing to work on the sculpture until I fixed the problem or until daylight.  I lied, as it turns out.  After trying to sleep, Link and I gave up (or rather I did and he woke up to join me) and went out there anyway.  As it turns out this was a wonderful thing despite an inadvertent decapitation.

I'll get to that.

The sculpture went from being a sort of frog man to a Beggar King.  He also went from being about three and a half feet tall to my height, if not a touch taller.  So let's call it 6' or so, maybe an inch or two shorter.  He's no longer a squat, awkward thing, but a dynamic, comical (he makes me laugh looking at him) character with a back story.

The back story will get its own blog with a picture of him.

Of course, there is the decapitation incident... in the process of attempting to give the king his cape, I dismantled part of his back, which rocked the not-yet-firmly-secured sculpture.  In a horrifying instant, his head and neck came tumbling off of his (for lack of a better term) neck stump.  The main part of the neck was reattached, but his entire lower skull was broken off.  That has been bolted on, more securely than it was to begin with actually.  His crown was also reattached after flying off.    But long story short, his cape is attached, and everything up to the neck is ok, and his head is sitting on the floor waiting for more JB Weld to attach it to his neck (once that's secured a bit more).

Meanwhile, in the yard...

Lincoln was absolutely loving all of this activity, and seems to have missed my working in the studio (I've been sick, so I've been saying in), and kept dashing around the yard, keeping the motion lights on most of the time in the process.  Of course, to make sure I was properly awake to do all of this work (a good two and a half hours of it) I ended up having three cups of coffee, so I was/am pretty buzzed as well, so we did a good bit of chasing around (remember, I have to recharge the creativity!).  To be fair, part of the time was spent staring up at the stars, and wishing the motion light would go off so I could see better.  But it was a great view of Orion, so I was happy.  Bit chilly, but I like that, and a warm cup (and another and another) of coffee was very pleasant on such an evening.  Then the dog would come up, challenging me to a game of tag/chase/jump/attack-the-hand and that would end that.

So now here I am, basically at 3:30, having had three mugs of coffee since 12:30.  Rather awake.  So I guess I'll take a shower and then settle in for a movie, and hope to get this song by the Eagles out of my head.  Love them, but their songs do stick easily for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment