20 June 2010

The Colony Theory


Ever since I came of bar-hopping age, I have had issues with it. I don't like the crowd, the noise, the smoke, the excess of drinking and drama (talking about gay bars, if you didn't already know this). But every gay guy I would come across went out, and liked it, some more, some less of course. So I began to theorize that there must be some segment of the gay population which does not participate in this particular social ritual. The theory stated that there are portions of straight society which do not go to bars, even among the younger group. However, having about 90% of the population to divvy up makes it easier to find the smaller group, it's still freaking huge. The gays simply have fewer people, so they're gone.

Eventually I came to call them the bar gays and the cafe´ gays. The Cafe´part was namely due to the lack of a better venue reference, thinking that if they did congregate in a public place, that was one of the more likely choices. After a while, I began to think of them as a colony, socializing independently of the rest, and simply difficult to find for this reason. I believe that my theory was correct now. I actually just had a conversation (which may or may not have been cut short due to technical issues) with a guy younger than myself who has a very similar view, and was actually rather refreshing to talk to. No drama, just good conversation that did not involve any attempt to hook up. Unusual, especially from someone younger than me. I feel bad for having basically given up on that segment now.

No comments:

Post a Comment