11 June 2010

Pit Firing and Pottery Sales

At last, proof that I am a potter after all. Despite having fun with my somewhat odd posts on here, and trying to get a laugh (thanks Alisha, your response helps!), this is what I really love doing. These are three pre-bisque fired pots which were the only survivors, apart from a small pendant and some shards which I have incorporated into another project, at my first attempt at pit firing. What this is, basically, is a big bonfire. The method I was pursuing was to simply have a ditch, fill it with pots, burry them in a combustible material, cover that with wood, and torch it. Now, usually you would have more color in the results than these (any color at all that is), but that is due to me being conservative on the size of the pit. I dug one approximately a foot and a half wide and deep, and maybe six feet long. This was simply not enough to contain sufficient material to burn hot and long enough. So by the next attempt, I will be expanding the pit to an estimated four foot depth, as well as expanding the width to be able to get in and out. Hopefully, I will get a new potter's wheel soon to be able to make enough pots to make it worth the effort. Which leads me to the other news. Tomorrow I will be doing my first Florida craft sale. Hopefully all will go well and I'll have a nice little boost. And if my job interview Tuesday goes well, I may be able to spend the profit from the sale, with a bit set aside, to buy a good wheel, rather than trying to fix my cheap old one that I still can't figure out why it isn't working.

No comments:

Post a Comment