10 June 2010

Drama Coasters.


When you're a kid, at least a normal one, you love roller coasters. The dips and climbs and crashes and turns are all so exciting, so invigorating. Even as we get older we still like them, until we reach an age where it's just too much. Perhaps emotions work on a similar concept. When you're young, the ups and downs and ins and outs of emotional relationships, be it friendships or romantic (or any other kind you can think of), none of it bothers you. You can go have fun with friends, then have it all come crashing down due to drama or what have you, then you're right back up there, and don't mind repeating the pattern. While there is something to be said for resiliency, once you get to a certain point enough is enough. So the theory is that perhaps, like riding roller coasters simply gets to be too much after a certain point in your life, maybe emotional roller coasters are the same way. That might be why people force themselves to level out, and not take part in the day-to-day drama that marks the lives of so many people. I know that's why I don't like to be around certain people, because I can't take it. Of course, I was never very big on roller coasters either. Maybe that's all that maturity is, realizing that you don't like the ride anymore, and forcing yourself to stop taking part in it. I've never understood people who love the drama of who said what to whom (grammar?), and who slept with Person X, cheating on Person Y, and put themselves through so much. It could be an emotional equivalent of an adrenaline rush, but it simply seems to me that they haven't aged to the point where they like balance. I remember my parents always having a nice, level life without all the extreme ups and downs. I rather liked it. Well, I could be wrong about all of this. Maybe some people are roller coaster people, and some are lazy river people. I was always partial towards the ferris wheel, myself... maybe that's why I'm drawn towards long relationships and repelled by drama... Just liked the slow cycle of getting better and having a view, despite the occasional dip, but you always climb back out... But then they start unloading it and it's just jerky and you're ready to get out of there. Ah, well... Who knows, I wasn't a psych major. Just more food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment