13 July 2010

Applying for Jobs


I am applying to a position at the moment, and one of their more unusual requirements was this: Customer service is very important at (Company Name). Please write two paragraphs on what you believe is excellent customer service. You may include examples of where you provided or received excellent service. I've never had to fill out such a thing before, but I think my reply was rather good, and somewhat amusing. So I thought I'd share it while I relax my brain a bit from the strain of answering the same questions 50 times.

Excellent customer service involves talking to a customer, figuring out what they really want or need, and doing what is both best for the company and best for the customer in a way that does not offend, anger, or otherwise upset the customer. While customers are generally intelligent, often people will complain about one thing or ask for something, when what they really want or need is something different. It is the employee's responsibility to figure out what the customer actually requires.

The other side of the issue is what the company needs. The employee should always keep the needs of the company in mind and, of course, do nothing which is against the company's interest. Balanced into these calculations are the need to retain customers, which includes being courteous and respectful to customers rather than being rude which can drive customers off. So, basically, excellent customer service is a juggling act of the company, the customer's needs or desires, and the customer's ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment