21 July 2010

Emotional Overloads



We humans are complicated creatures, with such overlapping and intermingling emotions that sometimes I'm astounded that we're at all able to accomplish anything as a society. Even two emotions at once are complicated, but adding more just makes things a jumble that is hard to quell.

Right now I am proud of Sparky, as he was given a great honor. He deserves it, and I'm happy for him. But at the same time, I'm frustrated with my art and what not, namely the lack of a wheel even though that should be remedied soon (THANK GOD!). And at the same time, I have my normal insecurities about various things. And on top of all that I'm feeling a bit down. Throw in a bit of anxiety, worry, and stress, plus the fact that I have not actually spoken to a human being today, possibly yesterday either.

Right now, typing all that out, two more things are being felt. One is bad that I'm complaining or whatever you'd call this. The other is surprised at just how much is bouncing around in my head. And today was actually a somewhat productive day, getting things done out in the yard. Thinking back on that, add in a bit of exhaustion and too much sun I suspect. That doesn't bode well for my sleeping, but what ever does?

How is it that humans are capable of such diverse, mostly independent feelings simultaneously? It almost seems like our minds should just crack open from all of that sensation at once. It's not, don't worry. I'm still perfectly rational, although rationalizing on this blog is actually helping quell the riot for me. Maybe that all just goes to show how social we actually are as creatures. Surely if we were not meant for interaction our minds would be much more, to be a bit repetitious with the word, single-minded. But only a brain designed for coping with the complex interactions between many individuals would be capable of storing and expressing this many emotions. It's rather exhausting but an interesting concept.

It makes me wonder though, about people with mental disorders, namely those with anti-social tendencies and compulsions towards crime. Is it possible that something in the wiring of some brains is off, and such interactions simply overwhelm their minds, or simply don't take place? It could be that they have a goal, and then the emotional aspects simply don't take hold. This is no excuse, but it would be treatable (eventually, if the theory is correct), although such situations would likely be very rare.

I wonder about other social animals. Primates are all well and good, but what about creatures like dogs? They evolved in packs and are very social. But from all appearances their emotions (And yes, they do have emotions. Ask any pet owner.) seem to be rather simple and one-track. Maybe we just don't understand them, or maybe they just don't let things get to them. Hell, maybe my dog has the right idea again tonight, he's back asleep with his head on the pillow I don't use. I guess we're all creatures of habit. I come in here to type so he follows and takes a nap like a good, faithful little shadow. Thankfully he doesn't have much hair to shed on my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment