29 July 2010

Sweeping the Dirt Out From Under the Rug


It's amazing how much crap can get swept under the rug sometimes. Then someone lifts it up and is horrified by how much dirt there really is and can even start to choke on it. Even the one whose dirt it is can be horrified to realize how much has accumulated over the years.

For once, I'm not talking completely in metaphor. I really do mean dirt. And by rug I mean carpet.

Yes, today was the long awaited first step in the war to replace the carpet in this house! My living room now has new, low carpeting that looks great. It's not quite finished as we ran out of time, but the bulk of the work is done, and has paved way for the removal of more carpet at a later date on that end of the trailer.

Now, the business about the dirt. It was amazing how much dirt and sand and become trapped under that carpet. Not just embedded in it. That alone had turned what apparently used to be a blue carpet (my entire family had assumed it to be tan originally) to some brownish color. The carpet used to match the walls! Who knew. But under that, and the foamy stuff under the carpet, were copious amounts of sand and dirt. Enough that I had to step back from choking on it. Enough that the filter I had replaced just an hour before starting work on the carpet, looked due for changing. Seriously, my cousin thought that it was due to be changed again, rather than brand new. Let me tell you this. I like carpet, it's nice to walk on especially in the winter. But I'm sick of it. This new stuff is just about all that I want anymore. And if I meet the idiot who decided to put carpeting in the guest bathroom, I have a long list of complaints for that person. Not least of which is the difficulty in removing carpet laid down in the 80's in a bunch of little pieces stapled to hell an back from behind a toilet.

Now, I will go back and watch something short on netflix and enjoy my recently rearranged and recarpeted living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment