31 July 2010

Jealousy


I did a post a while back about fear. In it, I concluded that fear is an overabundance of doubt. By this logic, a lack of doubt would be considered confidence. But a thought struck me. Jealousy and possessiveness are very similar to fear, but a cross with greed (for attention or control, I would imagine). Then I began wondering about what if you trust someone, but not the other people. Which leaves an implied doubt about their ability to take care of the situation. If you trust that they do, then you shouldn't worry about it and it shouldn't phase you.

Then I realized, I'm being entirely too cognitive about something that has little to do with rationality. It isn't hardly about doubt at all. Some of that may come into play. It isn't a lack of confidence in their ability to handle a given situation. It's about wanting to protect them, to help them, to do things for them so they don't have to deal with it at all. And, I'm sure, there is a bit of the territorial instinct thrown in, but I'm rather fond of that. It shows that someone is important to the one being possessive or jealous (overdoing it is bad, of course). It's a modern way of saying "This is my chosen mate (or friend/family member). Hands off or I'll break them off" that won't land you in as much trouble. It's also as much part of the caretaker instinct as anything else. Just when other people come involved, it's the protective side of the care-taking.

Logically, we may know that we can't be everything for those we care about. The closer we are, the more we wish to be everything he or she needs. But we can't. We have to force ourselves to step back, look at what we're feeling, and get it under control. But when someone gets like that, take it for what it (usually) is. A sign that they really care for you. And then you can either smile because they care, or tell them that they're pissing you off and to cut it out before you break their leg. I'm partial to the first one myself, but whatever works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment