26 July 2010

Sweet Relief

After three months, I am finally able to throw again. Due to my studio floor being taken up by rolls of carpet, however, I am limited in the quantity that I am able to throw at one time, but it's enough. Even throwing that first simple bowl was enough to give me sweet, sweet relief.

Since being able to throw again, so much of my tension has bled out of me, and I am more easily able to find my inner balance. Apart from the literal aspects of centering the clay, and the necessity for maintaining at least some radial balance (which I rather enjoy defying, but that's not the point), there is something about the act of using a potter's wheel, even a simple kick wheel such as this, that relaxes me.

Perhaps it is the harmonious control of the process. While I shape the clay, I have to work with it as well. I cannot defy it's properties, nor can I simply force it to do as I wish. I must work with it, and through that it is possible to stretch the clay's potential to the breaking point. But only by working with it. Perhaps it is the act of creation itself. Taking a shapeless, formless mass and imposing my will upon it to create something out of nothing. Bringing something new into the world rather than destroying it. Perhaps it is simply the metaphors and symbolism that are rather abundant with pottery.

Perhaps none of that. I simply enjoy the medium, I enjoy the process, and I can focus in on the clay and force myself to take a step back from over-thinking everything, letting myself relax. It is no different than, I would imagine, an athlete enjoying his/her favorite sport. Or a pilot getting to fly. Or whatever it is that you're passionate about and can lose yourself in. It's something that speaks to us and lets us take a step back, or a step forward into something deeper, or whatever shift in mental focus that such an activity can produce. Some of us think too much. Some of us don't get to think enough. Some of us simply need to let go of inhibitions. So whatever it is that you're passionate about, art, dance, science, sports, or whatever, just let yourself indulge from time to time. It does a world of good. Oh, and support your local potters! We're dirt poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment