14 July 2010

Random Portrait Concept


I randomly decided to take a photo of myself just now. Not my normal style which leaves it difficult to tell that it's me, but a relatively normal one, done with the webcam on this computer. Touched up in photoshop a bit, and cropped, but nothing drastic.

I think this photo actually is a good representation of me. Which is frustrating because I didn't think any of it out at all. To briefly go into what I'm talking about here... The symmetry in the background is something I like, it's stable, it's calm, it's traditional. But breaking up that symmetry is the overlaid "S" curve, which is traditional in classical sculpture. I'm not comparing myself to one, just my pose despite the crossed arms. The head has a line going through it (figuratively) which both stops the eye there and just fits my sense of humor. The face is in dark, which keeps in with my tendency to not let people in too much (despite the blog). The light from the window (an artistic no-no, as it distracts from the intended focus: the figure), I absolutely love because it distracts from me a bit. Again, privacy. I could go on a bit more but I'm getting rather tired of talking about myself.

What I was thinking, though, would be the idea of taking a portrait of someone with all of these subtle symbolic points, and seeing what the subject and the subject's friends/family think about it. I'm wondering if it's subconsciously noticeable enough to make people think it's a very good likeness of the subject. Just based on small things about the subject that are incorporated in a less than obvious way. Of course, that's only part of it and my art mine is going off on other tangents along the lines of an instillation, but that's getting to be carried away.

Well, it's just food for thought, especially for you art people.

No comments:

Post a Comment